Asbestos in the Home
We hear news about asbestos found in Europe but asbestos can be found anywhere in the world. We recently blogged about how asbestos can be found throughout the United States. Asbestos can be dangerous when it is disturbed and become a health hazard. There are several types of asbestos fibers and asbestos was added to a variety of product in a home. Do you know where asbestos can be found in your home? According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission these are just places in the home where asbestos can be found:
- Some roofing and siding shingles are made of asbestos cement
- Houses built between 1930 and 1950 may have asbestos as insulation
- Older products such as stove top pads may have some asbestos compounds
- Walls and floors around wood burning stoves may be protected with asbestos paper, millboard, or cement sheets
- Asbestos is found in some vinyl floor tiles and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring and adhesives
- Hot water and steam pipes in older houses may be coated with an asbestos material or covered with an asbestos blanket or tape.
If you are a homeowner and doing renovations your contractor may find asbestos in your home and it has to be removed immediately. If you think your home or building contains asbestos, it is important to seek professional assistance. Alliance Environmental is a licensed asbestos removal company with extensive experience in properly containing the asbestos, complete decontamination of the site, and lawful disposal of the contaminated materials.
*Below is an episode of HGTV Income Property: Scott McGillivray Twyla Project where they find asbestos while doing a renovation.