Healthy Schools and Mold
Yesterday was National Healthy Schools Day and over at AirTek we talked about indoor air quality in school. Mold is only one of the indoor air contaminants that can affect school performance and health, but it is a big one.
Both of the schools my children attend use "bungalow" classrooms to accommodate the need for more classroom space than our permanent campus buildings can manage. These permanent-temporary structures are, however, at risk for more water damage than the brick-and-mortar buildings they supplement.
In Washington Heights, NYC, there are definitely mold problems in the trailers used for this purpose:
"Parents of kids who attend a school in Washington Heights are outraged over the conditions students are being subjected to, saying trailers being used as school buildings contain mold, mildew and vermin." ABC-TV
How can we help avoid the health problems that come with mold in our school buildings?
Let's ask AirTek:
1. Be observant--When you are visiting your child's school campus, take a walk. If you see any water damage, let someone know. Mold only takes 24-48 hours to grow.
2. Keep track of small complaints--Ask your child how they are feeling when you pick them up, as well as what they have for homework. If they feel sick or dizzy at school but better at home, they might forget to tell you.
4. Be communicative--If your child has sensitivities, allergies or asthma, or if you have any concerns about the environment at your school, don't keep them to yourself. Your efforts to improve the environment at your school could make a difference to every single child and teacher.
Do you have "temporary" classrooms at your child's school? Now is a good time for a drop-in visit!