Pets and Mold Don't Mix
Mold carries health risks for people that we have written about before:
"We hear more about "toxic mold" and "black mold" causing terrible health problems and even death, but ordinary mold in ordinary amounts can also cause:
- Lung infections that can lead to pneumonia
- Allergic reactions
- Irritated eyes, ears, nose or throat
- Chronic cough
- Headaches or migraines
- Difficulty breathing
--Mold and Your Health, Alliance Blog, February 13, 2013
But you are probably not the only living creatures in your home. No, I'm not talking about bed bugs! I'm talking about pets.
Pets Advisor tells us that "if your pet If your pet is exhibiting symptoms such as extreme lethargy, breathing problems such as wheezing, coughing or struggling to aspirate, bleeding from the nose and disruption in regular eating habits" it could be suffering from a reaction to mold.
If you are aware of a mold problem in your home and have pets, it's a good idea to take them to the vet. And if they are exhibiting the symptoms listed above, have them checked out even if you don't know about a mold issue. Maybe you will find out you have a problem you didn't know you had!
For more information about the health problems caused by mold, here is a short video interview with an expert:
And if you or your pet are suffering because of mold anywhere in California, Alliance can help! Our experienced mold removal teams can take care of your mold challenges quickly and professionally. Contact Alliance!
Wendy Stackhouse is the Online Community Manager for Alliance Environmental Group and AirTek Indoor Air Solutions. We welcome your comments! For more news and tips or to ask questions of our experts, Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter! For updates on indoor air challenges, Like us at AirTek on Facebook!