Don't Get Bed Bugs for Christmas!
These are busy travel days for many families. Don't neglect to do what you can to avoid bringing a bed bug home for Christmas!
Close proximity of people and baggage make it easy for bed bugs to move from one place to another and start a new infestation. What can you do to help prevent coming home with bugs and bites?
Tips for Avoiding Bed Bugs While Traveling
- Check your seat. A moment's look at the seams and cushions of your airplane seat could reveal an extra passenger traveling with you.
- Bring your own blanket and pillow. An inflatable pillow doesn't take up much space and the blankets the flight attendants hand out these days are not very useful. If you are on the red-eye, bring your own.
- Inspect your hotel room. Here are our detailed tips for hotel room inspection. Be sure to check inside drawers and behind pictures on the walls as well as mattresses and other upholstery. Even expensive hotels can have bed bugs--look carefully before you decide your room is acceptable.
- Keep your luggage off the floor. Use that luggage rack at the foot of the bed and don't let your clothes get strewn around.
- Unpack outside. When you get home, leave the luggage outside while you unpack.
- Launder when you get home. Even if you didn't wear everything you took with you, wash all of the clothes you packed before putting them away. Better safe than bitten!
- Bag up your suitcase. Put your suitcases into plastic bags for 2 weeks or until needed to make sure nothing that might be in there has a chance to escape or get to a food source--you.
We don't want you to be anxious when traveling and you don't have to be--if you are careful. If you do find a sign of bed bugs in your hotel room, ask for another room which is not adjacent on that floor or above or below the infested room. Bed bugs find you by the carbon dioxide you exhale and they could easily travel from an empty room next door, above, or below.
We hope that all of your holiday travels are filled with joy and fun and--of course--bed bug free!
Download a free copy of our Asbestos, Lead Paint & Mold eBook to learn how to mitigate the liability risks associated with common environmental threats found in residential properties.